EDUC 6165: Team Development



Every team goes through the five stages of team development. As typically happens at the end, all groups will eventually have to move on to new assignments. In the adjourning stage, members leave the group. The group may cease to exist or it may be transformed with new members and a new set of goals. 

I have faced the adjourning phase in several team and I always feel sad to say goodbye since through all five stages we build collaborative relationships from time, effort, and attention, and most of them often have meaningful outcomes in terms of enhancing the overall quality of the team well. The last team I had to say goodbye to was my old workplace. I got a promotion to become a leader in another building and I had to say goodbye to my old team. I had a hard time saying goodbye to all my team members, I remember I cried and felt like I leave my second home. Since we share good experience and positive work relationship with people in my team. We always supported each other, and also we built trust toward each other at that time as well. 

For a high-performing team, the end of a project brings on feelings of sadness as the team members have effectively become one and now are going their separate ways. People may miss the interactions with the members, even the more cantankerous ones, and will experience both relief and a sense of loss. Like life, the group process is normal, and mixed emotions are to be expected.

I already face adjourning from my colleagues who started this master’s degree program at the same time because I did complete two classes at the same time once. I now one class ahead of my original colleagues with who I share knowledge and through since I started this master's degree. Of course, I had mixed feelings toward them because we share knowledge, idea, and experience through discussion and blog. I am thankful that I share the time with all members and colleagues. Adjournment can come suddenly and unexpectedly, or gradually and piece by piece. Either way, all members and the leader communicator should be prepared and recognize it as part of the classic group life cycle.


Comments

Popular Posts