EDUC 6165: Communication with my family

 




I was born and raised in Thailand where children were taught not to talk back to adults. I usually was not talkative with my parents because of that. Non-verbal language is pretty much the main thing that we have been taught to show respect to other people.

Gestures: we generally do not use their hands to emphasize their point in the conversation. Overly dramatic gestures or frequent and rapid gestures may be misinterpreted as anger in Thailand. Pointing with a single finger is considered to be rude and accusatory. 

Eye Contact: Eye contact shows attentiveness to the person talking. However, direct eye contact should be diverted every now and again to soften the interaction. Intense eye contact can be viewed as a challenge to the other person. When being instructed or spoken to by a superior, it is respectful to lower one’s eyes. 

Height and Bowing: An important way we show respect is through lowering their head. Looming above someone in Thailand can be considered an aggressive form of assertion. It is especially disrespectful to position one’s head at a height higher than the Buddha. If someone needs to intersect another’s gaze to reach a destination (for example, at a performance), they will typically walk with their head bowed and their body below the eye line of the other. 

Nodding: Thai people often nod to acknowledge what is said. However, this does not always mean they agree or understand. It is primarily a gesture made out of politeness.

Once I moved to the USA, I had a bit hard time adjusting my non-verbal language to communicate with other people. I have to make eye contact while speaking to other people to show that I am listening to them. It was hard at the beginning because I felt that was rude through my Thai culture. 


In my family, we usually show our love through action instead of saying it. My dad was quiet as well but he always picked me up from school and had dinner at restaurants before picking my mom up from her work. Or my mom would just give me hugs before I went to school every day. My parents rarely complimented me when I won something, however, they would rather spend time and celebrate my success by travel somewhere and share our time together. These are the way of our communication most of the time.


Communication through action and body language has become one of my main communication. Professionally, I usually become a role model and show the way to do appropriate work for other caregivers instead of saying words, so they understand more from what they can see and follow that role model. It is somewhat effective however, I have to learn to communicate through other communication tools, such as parent conferences to report their child's behavior. Variety of communication can enhance the ways I deliver my message to the listeners, including caregivers, children, their parents. 




Comments

  1. Hey Sawin,
    I think that you are in an interesting position because you understand what it is like to adapt to a new culture. I believe you will be able to advocate for children who are adjusting to a brand new environment were the culture doesn't match their own. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawin,

    I love how you incorporated your culture and the differences between communication from where you are from to the United States. I remember when I lived in Japan, there were definitely differences that I noticed when it came to simple things such as hugs, and who is served first at the dinner table. It was something that I had to adjust to when making Japanese friends and going to their homes. Learning different communication styles is definitely something important when it comes to the early childhood field.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts