EDUC 6164: Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions


According to Dr. Sue (2011), microaggressions refer to an unconscious statement or action expressed towards a marginalized group, such as a racial or social discriminatory message that uses offensive racial epithets. It also can establish ideas that stereotype a minority group, thus causing discomfort towards the victim.

There are two microaggressions that I would like to share my experiences with.

1. When I was an exchange student in Brisbane, Australia. I went to a small-town high school One of my classmates made fun of my face since I was the only Asian there. He said that "Your eyes are so small, can you see anything clearly?" I was confused at first and got a little upset. But now I realized that I was in a town that was not that diverse, therefore it was uncommon for the people there to see people who are different from them.

2.When I recently moved to the United States in 2013, I started to work at one fast food restaurant. I did not have positive relationships with my coworkers since I was the only foreigner in the restaurant. The most salient question that one of my coworkers asked me was that “I heard Asians eat everything they see; do you eat dog? When you see dogs around here, are you hungry?” I did not know what to answer but just smiling and walking away because I was embarrassed about that conversation they have with me. 


Throughout this week, I have learned that people are not born with discrimination, prejudice, or stereotypes, but they establish these through their personal experiences and interactions. We can avoid microaggressions by shunning away invisibility and creating equality among peers and others. Therefore, toning down those people who like showing they can marginalize the minority. I believe that people need to learn and be aware of diversity. 

Laying down a solid foundation about diversity awareness to young children can create a better society in a long run. Parents and teachers should ensure to create an inclusive setting for children to learn and enhance the diversity awareness to young children, such as providing dual language or diversity books for children to read, and decorate classrooms with different posters of diversity including race, religion, and more. 

Comments

  1. Hello Sawin:
    I really enjoyed reading your posting this week. Katrina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts