EDUC 6164: The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


Onc of my memories that I have wineesed and also experienced of the oppression was when I went to a Buddist temple when I was young. We did a morning merit to celebrate and pray for our ancestors.
It was really dark in the early morning and I had to poor water on our family grave but that area permitted only for males. I was so scared of the dark so I asked my mother to come with me but she could not come. I started to cry and she decided to walk with me to that area but my mom got yell by other people that she were not allowed in here and get out.  It was an emotional experience but I just accepted that and did not think about the equity of that situation basue it was and is a norm of my religious culture. 


After my exploring and learning in diversity awareness I found that this is unfair for women. Every human being has the right to freedom from oppression. According to Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2011), gender oppression is “unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power.” Gender discrimination, a form of gender oppression is “Attitudes, conditions or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.” 

Despite the historical gains that women’s rights activists fought for, equality has yet to be achieved. Women are still being raped, abused, objectified, oppressed and discriminated against. Often being disguised as a women’s issue, there is a need for a major shift in perception as a societal issue that includes women and human rights. This societal issue involves various forms of victimization amongst women and girls.

Therefore, I would like to support and push the policy and the views of people in women especially in Budist religious as gender oppression of women and girls is not just a structural issue, but also a cultural one. Creating policies and systems is needed to reduce the gender oppression in our society. 

References 

Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2011). Sexual violence, stalking, and intimate partner violence widespread in U.S.

Comments

  1. Hi Sawin,
    Wow, I am sorry you and your mom had to experience this. I agree that Women should have the right to do a lot of things that we are told we cannot do. I agree that equality has not been fully achieved when it comes to women and our rights. Gender oppression still exist and it is sad. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawin,
    That had to be a pretty traumatizing thing to experience as a young child, even though you understood your mother was not allowed to go there you still needed her and the rules left you feeling scared and helpless and I am so sorry that happened to you. I think it is interesting the gander rules and regulations that are set in place in many different cultures, and it feels as though women are commonly treated unfairly and inferior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sawin,
    I’m sorry this happened to you. Thank you for being an ally for the cause of women’s rights. I agree that any type of oppression is damaging to society. Until we address these issues there will always be civil unrest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts