My Personal Research Journey

 My Personal Research Journey


Hi everyone from EDUC 6163, 

I was planning to do research on the influence of dual-language learning in early childhood education since I have experienced the diversity of children in my childcare center in the Navy. There are diverse children who come from around the US and also some from other countries that their parents are serving this country.  However, I found it challenging on doing the process of literature reviews this week. I could not find many resources through Walden's library on dual language learning in young children. 

Through this week of learning, I have learned many technical terms and processes of doing research also. 

For example, 

Deductive

Deductive or a top-down approach which starts from the broad information and narrows it down. Generally, we establish a theory to study; we narrow the theory down to a specific hypothesis; further down through observation, leading to confirmation.

Inductive 

Indictive is an opposite procedure from deductive, which starts from the bottom and broader the specific observations through regularities and patterns to be tentative hypotheses. Then, we formulate them to general theory or conclusion. 

Through the deductive process, I have eliminated some topics and started to state research questions from the border thoughts which is DIVERSITY, and narrow it down. Therefore I finally found a research topic that I decided to study with appropriate resources to review the works of literature as well. 

 “Ways to foster healthy linguistic and cultural diversity awareness in early childhood education” 

What is your opinion about this topic? I found it simple but very powerful for all early childhood professionals to be aware of and support all children.

There are many resources that support early childhood diversity on Waldern's Library Website and I found that I can establish research questions from this topic easier. 

Thank you very much. 

Comments

  1. Win, what a great topic to look into. We lose so many students with potential because they have difficulty understanding in school. Here is an article on sheltered instruction, I am not sure if it helps but it is a strategy for teachers - https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1263051. Good Luck this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawin, I forgot you were in two classes this semester so I responded to the first post. Silly me. I think your topic is great similar to mine. I hope we can compare notes. Diverse literature is the avenue I chose. Reading bilingual books fosters literacy and second-language learners and diversity in literature provides an opportunity to expand culture and global awareness. The presence of bilingual books suggests that teachers value other languages. Bilingual books open doors to teaching about other cultures. The presences of multicultural literature suggests that teachers value cultural differences. I know you write great papers but I do have a few papers I can share. Also I read this book Beaty, J. & Pratt, L. (2015). Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sawin,
    I like your topic. I also struggled to find specific information to use from the Walden Library. But, the information I did find I know that Iw ill be able to use as needed. At my school, we do not have many dual language learners, but when I worked on my undergrad at West Chester, I chose to minor in Spanish as I felt that Spanish would soon be the second language of our country. Turns out I was right. I am able to use some of my skills to help the children in my school who may need help. Please feel free to reach out as needed! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sawin,
    All I can say is wow! I like the way that you picked your topic. Diversity & Literature seemed like it is going to be a hot topic for this class. You and Cynthia must have been thinking along the sames lines. Diversity & Literature is such a good topic since the children that we work with is so diverse in the classroom. Can not wait to see what you do with this topic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts