My Family Culture

 My Family Culture

Some primary cultures and subcultures both play significant roles in society. The dominant culture shows the power and can influence people's social aspects in terms of communication, religion, law, education, political belief, and business. 

I have grown in Thailand and moved to the United States when I was 21 years old. Thai culture that I had been experiencing for 21 years turned to be a subculture this the USA. I have learned to adjust my thought, lifestyle, and other things to fit in the dominant culture which is American Cultures. FOOD is one of the major things that I have to adjust to because, in Thailand, there is a variety of food, fruits, spices, and dessert for us to eat. 



If I was further told that, I can only take 3 small items with you. I would pick:

1. Fish Sauce
Fish Sauce is used both in cooking and also served at the table as a condiment, for instance in noodle soups. Nearly every Thai meal is served with phrik nam pla as a condiment: a mixture of fish sauce, lime juice, and chopped bird's eye chilies. Sliced garlic is often added to this sauce.
This helps me spice any kind of food that I eat in the USA especially Mexican and Chinese food. 


2. Sided Pillow

Since I was young, I love to cuddle this pillow instead of a doll. It comforted me and helps me sleep through the night. I still cant find this kind of pillow anywhere in the US yet.

3. Thai Ice Tea

If you think about the sweet drink. Thai Tea is made from strongly brewed black tea, often spiced with ingredients such as star anise, crushed tamarind, cardamom, and occasionally others as well (often making this beverage a favorite among masala chai tea fans). This brew is then sweetened with sugar and sweetened condensed milk and served over ice.
This is a local drink that I have drunk since I was young. It freshes up the hot day. I would love to bring it here to the USA. 



Comments

  1. Hi Sawin,
    How lucky for you that you get to experience two completely different cultures in your lifetime. I was born in America and as of right now, have no other plans to live anywhere else than the USA. I think that it would be wonderful to experience different cultures outside this country, but until then, I will continue to travel across the US and see different cultures this way.
    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sawin:
    I think that pillow looks fuzzy and soft. Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    I couldn’t imagine life without Thai Tea either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sawin, you bring so much to our class. The experiences you share with us are so interesting. I feel that you allow us to know more about you and your culture each time. Thank you for sharing. By the way what is your topic for the research? Are you still thinking about diversity? Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sawin,
    I enjoyed reading the things you would bring with you and how they directly reflect who you are and what you would want to share with the rest of the world! Interestingly enough, I spent time in Japan as a military kid and was able to experience fish sauce in a few dishes that I had experienced. I definitely agree that is has so much flavor and adds a unique taste to food. Your take on having to only bring one item was something that I had not really thought of, it makes me think about is it about stifling the culture you are bringing? If not, then I wonder why there would have to be an elimination of any items? Thank you for bringing a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts